Random ramblings from my beer soaked melon about politics, religion, sex, stupidities, nature, and any other subject that penetrates the haze. Sometimes crude and not for the faint of heart or people with normal intelligence, or an abundance of common sense.
Sunday, November 05, 2006
RANDOM RANT
No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine.
– William Blum



There are a few things I don’t understand about the current political parties.
I don’t understand how a gay man or woman could be a member of the Republican Party.

I don’t understand how a black man or woman could be a member of the Republican Party.

I especially don’t understand how so many poor working class people in the Midwest can support the current administration, but they do.

I don’t understand why the statement of John Kerry about the choice being to buckle down and do well in school or end up in Iraq is being made into an issue. I also don’t understand why Kerry apologized for saying it. Look at any study of how the ranks of the military are filled.
Most of the troops that are supposed to have been insulted by his statement didn’t join up because they felt a calling to serve their country. Most joined for the same reason I did in 1975. No job opportunities at any livable wage, no benefits, no chance to better your lot in life. In 1975 things were a lot better than they are right now.
Then there was a middle class. There isn’t one any more. The percentage of military members who are minorities is higher than in the general population. Duh.

In 1975 there were a lot more opportunities to get scholarships and grants and student loans for higher education than there are now. The GI bill at that time was very good and a major reason for many people to join. Now the programs in the civilian world and the military have been cut and gutted to pay for the war on oil.

Most of the people in the military who seem to support the war in Iraq and the current administration can be punished for making any derogatory statements about your commander in chief or any of his staff.
When I joined the military I was lied to by the recruiter but once I got to the processing center where I had my physical and signed the real enlistment papers and took the oath they told me or at least gave me stuff to read that told me the truth. I heard and read several times that when I took that oath I was agreeing to give up some of my rights as a citizen. Most people don’t seem to understand that if some moron with more crap on his uniform than you tells you to clean the shit off that toilet or go to war without the protective equipment you were promised you have to do it or be brought up on charges.
The thing that I keep remembering now is that because of the poor recruitment numbers they have lowered the standards to enlist.

The rant moves on.

I don’t understand the lack of outrage at the passage of two bills that give the President almost unlimited power to lock people up with no reason given and to take over state National Guard units to put down anything he considers a threat by declaring martial law. He could even suspend the elections that are defiantly a threat to his power base.
The suspension of our rights effectively turns this into a police state and I might add he has been protected from prosecution for all his illegal actions in the past by the same bills.
I said in a comment that I didn’t think he would use this power on his own but Chaney could talk him into anything.

I don’t understand how the Vice (boy that word fits him like a glove) President could say, “The outcome of the election and public sentiment will not influence war policy.” and get less attention than Kerry got for his stuck in Iraq comment.
I thought they were (and I use this term loosely) “elected” to carry out the will of the people. Silly me.

I do understand the difference between Republicans and Democrats. I’m an independent which means I don’t have any firm political beliefs I guess.
Republican poll watchers are at the polls to challenge people’s right to vote while Democratic poll watchers are there to protect the rights of voters and help them exercise their franchise.
Now if that doesn’t say it what does?

The shit is getting deep now but I feel better after venting, and I can swim.
VOTE!
 
posted by Nit Wit at 4:48 AM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger Denise

    There is very little difference between the D & R parties anymore. They're all overly religious and they are all lying assholes.

     
  • At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I enlisted in the Army in 1971.Your assesment of those times was spot on.What I really don't understand,and scares the hell outta me,is the number of people I encounter that have no qualms about giving up their rights,as long as they can feel "safe"..WTF??..Safe as little lambs being led to the slaughter.

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm ready for this shit to hurry up and get over with. I agree with everything ya said but our choices are limited. We just have to pick the lying asshole who we think will do the least amount of damage

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Cassandra

    Give my regard to the spider's family.

     
  • At 12:53 AM, Blogger yellowdoggranny

    they should put on the voting machines.
    asshole 1
    asshole 2
    asshole 3
    and that other asshole that no one can remember his/her name..
    you are as always..dead right...that' is a scary term to use any more..
    dead right'

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger Cassandra

    I like JS's way. They are all assholes.
    Uh... my cat killed the spider... ya, that's it. I smushed it to end it's misery. She was beating it up for information but it wouldn't speak. You had a loyal spider.