Random ramblings from my beer soaked melon about politics, religion, sex, stupidities, nature, and any other subject that penetrates the haze. Sometimes crude and not for the faint of heart or people with normal intelligence, or an abundance of common sense.
Sunday, April 02, 2006
CONTRARY CHRONOTYPES
How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads; to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams.
Bram Stoker


I now know why I started smoking when I was a teenager.
Some smart guys at Ludwig Maximillians University in Munich did a study that they say shows that people who are forced to operate in conflict with their body’s normal clock are much more likely to smoke. They found that only 10% of people who operate within one hour of there natural body clock were smokers while around 70% of people who operated with 7 hours or more of social jet-lag started smoking.
I have been a so called night owl all my life which the smart fellows say is mostly determined by my genetic makeup, but society forced me to get up and go to school at an ungodly hour when I am much more inclined to sleep. So at 14 or 15 I started smoking and they tried to blame peer pressure and the monsters at the big tobacco companies.
I quit several years ago and in hindsight I see now that the thing that made my last attempt work when all the others failed is that I stopped trying to live by other peoples idea of normal and just followed my natural clock. Now it made that a lot easier having a job that conformed to that clock as well.
So, societies unrelenting attempt to make everyone conform to what the so called majority thinks is normal is to blame for uncountable addictions to the evil tobacco and everything that brings to us night owls.
I think I see a class action case here. We just have to figure out who to sue.
 
posted by Nit Wit at 8:41 AM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Cassandra

    Cool. Sue society!!!
    Loved that quote by the way!!!

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Linda

    I smoked as a teenager but only smoked for 7 years so it was easy for me to quit when I had my daughter. But the eating, well that's another problem. I want to see one person who has no bad habits, like smoking, drugs, food, gambling, drinking etc. and so forth. If there is such a person they can make millions of dollars telling the rest of us where we went wrong. Think I'll sue Little Debbie :D

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger yellowdoggranny

    lets sue all dem bastids..i think the reason i am a night owl is because my mother was...she stayed up all night intertaining troops and i got regulated to her schedule...same thing when i had mojo...with dave and thom i had normal sleeping hours and both the boys are 10pm to bed and 6am..up...i stayed up all night babysitting jack and trying to keep him out of jail, hospitals, etc...and mojo is a night owl too..hmmm. who can i sue?