Random ramblings from my beer soaked melon about politics, religion, sex, stupidities, nature, and any other subject that penetrates the haze. Sometimes crude and not for the faint of heart or people with normal intelligence, or an abundance of common sense.
Sunday, March 19, 2006
MEDICAL MIRACLES


Prior to penicillin and medical research, death was an everyday occurrence. It was intimate. Katherine Dunn


Almost every day there is an announcement of a new miracle drug or the discovery of the healing properties of some chemical or compound either natural or created. This is the wonder of the thousands of research laboratories around the world.
Of course many cures are never developed because the occurrence of the ailment is too rare to provide a high enough profit, unless it is researched by a university lab not as motivated by greed.
The latest miracle compound is called Capsaicin and is being tested by U.S. and Japanese researchers. It has the amazing ability to cause Human Prostrate Cancer cells in mice to commit suicide in a process known as apoptosis. It sounds like bad breath from drinking too much pop. It must be a powerful depressant to cause them to kill themselves.
Who knew that mice had human prostate cells?
Prostate Cancer is the most common form of cancer in men. This is a little surprising when you consider that Capsaicin is what makes a hot pepper hot, and you only need 3 to 8 peppers to equal the amount given to the mice. The hotter the peppers the fewer you need.
Now judging by the number of cases of prostrate cancer diagnosed each year and the huge number of cases of peppers consumed worldwide I am surprised there is still such a thing as prostrate cancer.
Just another case of something thought to be bad for you that turns out to be the thing that keeps you healthy.  
Soon they will tell us that eating fatty foods drinking and smoking to excess and an immoral lifestyle leads to immortality.
I’m starting to wonder why I listen to my doctor at all.
 
posted by Nit Wit at 9:07 AM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Cassandra

    I'm going for your last plan there. I still hold out hope that it's the answer!! LOL

    OK, lots of comment from you again. My blog put you to sleep. Summer in TX is over 100 degrees everyday and everything is nasty and hot and blah. It's Spring that's ok in TX for a month or so.
    Crooked pictures actually don't bother me either. In fact, I like to wait to see who can't stand it and will get up and fix it themselves. Man, I am so going to try that in my shrinks waiting room next time. LOL!!!
    How you feeling?

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger yellowdoggranny

    i checked my ass and it said 'sit'
    go to a drs. office and when no one is looking..make all the pictures crooked...it will adventually drive someone crazy and they will get up and fix it...huh huh..

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger Cassandra

    Yes, hot pockets have a taste. They taste like vomit. I will not be buying them again, ever.
    Oh, I see people drive off and not return their carts all the time. I try giving them the evil eye, but they won't look at me because they know they are guilty.
    Those random credits are cool. I get them every now and then. I multi-task blog mad. Like right now, I have it running in the background and can see the timer. I've had to stop about 4 or 5 times during typing this to hit the magic number to get my credit.
    Of course you are tired now that blogger is working. It knows...it knows...

     
  • At 7:45 AM, Blogger Clance' McClannahan

    Dale's last treatment wekk starts on Friday. Poison that makes you better....hmmm. It has been six months of hell but I see light at the end of the tunnel now...
    Got a prayer flag made for you...flapping in the Idaho breeze.