Random ramblings from my beer soaked melon about politics, religion, sex, stupidities, nature, and any other subject that penetrates the haze. Sometimes crude and not for the faint of heart or people with normal intelligence, or an abundance of common sense.
Friday, April 18, 2008
DID THE EARTH MOVE FOR YOU?



No, I didn't and I had just gotten home from work when it did.

WEST SALEM, Ill. (AP) - Residents across the Midwest were awakened Friday by a 5.2 magnitude earthquake that rattled skyscrapers in Chicago's Loop and homes in Cincinnati but appeared to cause no major injuries or damage.

The quake just before 4:37 a.m. was centered six miles from West Salem, Ill., and 45 miles from Evansville, Ind. It was felt in such distant cities as Milwaukee, Des Moines, Iowa, and Atlanta, nearly 400 miles to the southeast.

It must have hit right after I sat in my rocking recliner so I just thought my chair was rocking.

I've been through a few earthquakes. I've lived in California and felt a few but the place where I felt the most was Japan which has micro quakes every day.

I hope none of you had your world rocked the bad way.
 
posted by Nit Wit at 10:45 AM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger yellowdoggranny

    whooowee...glad you weren't rocked off your feet...can't imagine my life without you..
    when i lived in huntingbeach..we had a small quake and it freaked me out.then i saw a map of where the san andreas fault ran right thru my apt...we moved 3 months later..all the way back to texas..fuck that noise..
    least with tornado's we have a little warning to kiss our asses good bye

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger Kalibitch

    i was so disappointed that i didn't feel it. I've been in a major earthquake before with building coming down on us... scary shit.

     
  • At 4:44 AM, Blogger BBC

    I was in the great quake in Alaska in 64, was in the Navy and we worked long hours helping the town for two weeks before we got time off to go get drunk.

    Earthquakes cut into drinking time. The first buildings to go back up on the waterfront were called plywood palaces, they slapped buildings together, covered the floor with sawdust and opened the doors, the bar was open again.

    That was the year I turned 21.

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger Nit Wit

    That's a lot like the old gold rush towns they had up there. History repeats itself.
    Navy, I was Air Farce. Got to see the microchips and run airport computers when I wasn't working weapons testing and tactical systems development.
    I can brag that a computer system I helped develop was the first target taken out in Israel during the 6 day war.
    Getting drunk was always our goal when we completed something.

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger billy pilgrim

    i was puking over the side of boat about 100 miles from mount saint helens when she blew. i stopped drinking for about a week after that.