Random ramblings from my beer soaked melon about politics, religion, sex, stupidities, nature, and any other subject that penetrates the haze. Sometimes crude and not for the faint of heart or people with normal intelligence, or an abundance of common sense.
Sunday, July 27, 2008
PUSDO PROTESTS

Those people who want to express their religious beliefs on public property should enjoy the same rights that we provide to those protesting the war in Iraq.
Ernest Istook



I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's as much as I ever will and I remember the network news of that time. It was full of combat footage from the Vietnam War and coverage of protests all over the country, most notably from universities and other places of higher learning.

The establishment constantly blamed it on communist agitators who were employed by the Soviet Union and China to undermine the glorious struggle to bring freedom to the people who already knew that the government they had was one of the most corrupt that has ever existed. But, boy that war made a lot of money for the military Industrial complex and gave us lots of jobs to go with the double digit inflation and the large number of dead and maimed draftee's who came home to be ignored by the system, not to mention the ones who never came home.

There were a lot of incidences of police and National Guard violence during that time. The ones people seem to remember are the Democratic Convention in Chicago and of course the murders at Kent State, unless they actually got their melon cracked by a night stick they tend to forget the struggle.

There was a headline on The Huffington Post yesterday about the military barring photos of U.S. war dead and I got to thinking of things I've read the last few years that highlight the fact that the Government seems to have learned from the past. If you are an imbedded reporter with the military you are under their control and say or show nothing that they don't approve. Bloggers in the Armed Forces can't even post without review by supervisors. As a reporter if you make them look bad you are denied protection and more importantly to the reporters, access.

Back to demonstrations…
People seem surprised by this and wonder where the activists are today. Well, there still around but they have also learned from experience and do most of their protesting on the internet which is kinda scary when you consider how easy China has found it to get the big internet movers and shakers to suppress and block access to things they feel threatened by.
There are demonstrations still going on but, you have to get your permit and can’t vary from the proscribed purpose and that is defined by the local powers that be and their opinions, so you still may end up in the slammer.

During The Gumps last inauguration protesters were limited to one small area along the motorcade route and there were so many police between them and the street that you couldn’t even see them. Bush passed by and then gave his freedom speech after lip syncing the oath of office for the second time.

During the last Republican convention the FBI was and still is investigating protesters. The NYPD arrested if memory serves me over 300 protesters the first day and kept them in jail until the convention was over. They then released them and filed no charges as far as I have been able to tell.

Any time The Gump went out to drum up support for his raping of the people of the U.S. his audience was hand picked by his controllers. If you have ever seen him try to handle a question that is not prearranged you know he isn’t a Rhodes Scholar. Face it if his family wasn’t who they are he would have spent a lot of time on the short bus.

One of my favorite tasteless sayings is, “Hire the handicapped, they’re fun to watch.” but I never thought they would do it.

My other favorite saying that comes from my years running computers in the Air Farce is, “You have to be smarter than what you’re trying to operate.” And have had it applied to me more times than I like to admit. It also applies to the current administration though.

I am just rambling tonight but everyone is pissed that I haven’t been posting including me so I’ll take what I can get.

I ran across these clips that show how little has changed in the last 40 years. Watch them to the end and then go out and protest.




Note that the offical says he should have stopped the comments by police, not their actions.

This is such a cute protest.




Todays activists are so precious.
I think Canada is looking better every day.

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by Nit Wit at 2:01 AM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger yellowdoggranny

    I had to go get my 'listen up' ears so I could hear the videos...but i agree with you and them...how can you protest, or show opposition to bush or his policies if they won't let you...hard to protest 3 miles from the event or from a jail cell...bastids..
    thanks for posting..i missed your intelligent and witty posts...did i tell you about this great little island off the coast of italy that im thinking of moving to if mccain wins?

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger yellowdoggranny

    ps..my favorite expression is 'hire the handicapped we're fun to watch'...say it at work all the time..me with my bad back and inky with his bad leg...we make jokes about how we could never rob the bank ...me with my deep and very distinctive voice and inky's pronounced limp, they'd know it was us right away..

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Nit Wit

    I love islands but I can't come out to play without the family. They seem to take a lot of time. I thought being Grandpa was supposed to allow you to spoil the grandkids and then give them back.
    I think I'm wishing for my second childhood so I can do something really stupid.
    Intelligent and witty left on the last bus. I'm just beer and bile with a computer. Wait till I post about recycling. You'll find it interesting I think.

     
  • At 11:38 PM, Blogger unokhan

    "I'm just beer and bile with a computer."

    what kinda royalties i gotta pay ya to use that line

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Scottish Toodler

    I really enjoy these posts. Still remember the one you did a few Veterens' day's ago, about coming back from Nam and your wife was waiting for you. The videos were interesting. In my experience, and I do have some myself, the cops en masse are as much if not more of a threat to those situations getting out of hand. Cop culture still wants to bang come commie head in... speaking of bang, I loved the end of the protest video where they just showed that girl's ass shaking to the drum circle. "I went to a protest and all I got was my ass shaking on some crummy news station." What a hoot!

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger billy pilgrim

    in the coast guard it was "if it don't move, paint it"

    canada is in the midst of a turn to the right. so far it's a mild turn but apathy and greed could make it a sharper turn. still all in all, the higher taxes more services model is fine with me.