Random ramblings from my beer soaked melon about politics, religion, sex, stupidities, nature, and any other subject that penetrates the haze. Sometimes crude and not for the faint of heart or people with normal intelligence, or an abundance of common sense.
Sunday, April 09, 2006
URANUS HAS A BLUE RING!
I was a little confused about how BBC News knows this. Then I read on and discovered that Saturn has one too.
All the other rings around planets are red due to the size of the particles that reflect the light back.
Blue rings are caused by a moon in the same orbit as the ring particles which strike the moon. The larger ones are captured by the moon and the smaller ones bounce back into the ring structure. Smaller pieces reflect blue light. The moon making Uranus’s blue ring is named Mab.
Still confused, I read they discovered this ring with the Hubble Space Telescope. I was thinking... why would they turn it to look down at Earth?
So, remember, if you moon Uranus will develop a blue ring.
Maybe I’m still confused.

 
posted by Nit Wit at 2:43 AM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger Cassandra

    You're a trip!!!

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger yellowdoggranny

    blue moon of uranus..
    red ass of jackie..
    hmmmm i see a country and western song here..

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger yellowdoggranny

    sometimes i only make myself laugh...(as i sit here going har har har....)

     
  • At 1:59 AM, Blogger Clance' McClannahan

    Uranus is my ruling planet.
    You made me laugh too Jac....don't feel bad, I entertain myself all the time. I think I am pretty funny.
    Dale always think I am in my office on the phone talking and laughing...but I am not. On the phone.

     
  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger lostinthetriangle

    I did not know about the Uranus rings, and now we have more discoveries to come from the new Mars and Venus satellite/probes.