Random ramblings from my beer soaked melon about politics, religion, sex, stupidities, nature, and any other subject that penetrates the haze. Sometimes crude and not for the faint of heart or people with normal intelligence, or an abundance of common sense.
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Scientific Serendipity
But, how little or how much of a good thing does it take to be bad? For example, water is good to drink. But drink too much of it and you drown!
Jerome Hines


The scientists and medical researchers have been busy publishing articles about their research lately.
So let’s see if I can tie a few of the things I have read into one post.

I was really encouraged when I read that researchers have discovered that beer or more properly the hops used to make the beer contains a compound called xanthohumol.
This compound when taken helps prevent Prostrate Cancer by inhibiting a protein in the cells along the surface of the prostrate. The only catch is that you have too drink at least 17 beers to get enough to benefit your health.
However a group of German scientists have developed a beer that has 10 times as much xanthohumol. Of course it won’t be long before the big drug companies create a pill form of the compound.
I’d rather drink the beer and get all the other benefits of beer. You know, drunkenness hangovers and cirrhosis of the liver.

Wait though; there is good news about that.

Some other bright boys have been conducting a study of coffee drinkers and have found that there is something in coffee that seems to stop people from getting Alcoholic Cirrhosis. They haven’t been able to determine if it is the caffeine or some other substance found in coffee. The data seems to indicate that tea drinkers did not get as much protection against Cirrhosis and tea contains less caffeine.
They also found that coffee drinkers had better results when taking blood tests of liver function.
So, if I drink lots of beer followed by large quantities of coffee I will not have to worry about Prostrate Cancer or Cirrhosis of the liver. Now what will the Health Nazis have to complain and lecture others on their bad habits.

Finally, some really bright boys were working on developing an audio sound that would be sold to stores to use to keep kids from hanging out in front of the stores. Leave it to the kids to figure out that it makes a great ring tone to use in class. See the sound can not be heard by most adults but can be with younger ears. In some cases it actually causes pain to people who can hear it.
The Huffington Post has a link that you can go to and download this magic sound. I did just that and played it and both my boys can hear it fine but me and the dog couldn’t.
Now by using the ring tone the kids will be able to read those highly important text messages their peers have sent them without pissing the teacher off.
The sound I downloaded and played actually at first seemed to cause my younger son real pain but he got used to it. I think I see another use for this sound, an alarm clock for teenagers.
I think I’ll spend the rest of the week drinking beer with coffee chasers and lamenting the fact that I can’t hear the sound that is the rage with young people.
It sure will be fun getting my sons up for school next year though.
 
posted by Nit Wit at 7:08 AM | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger Cassandra

    Wow! Love the way you tied everything in together there. I want to see if I can hear the sound. I'm still a teenager at heat. May have to google that.

    Yes, you have a reserved spot in Blogville Asylum's mammary apreication wing. No problemo!

    Ya, funny about my new background. Makes me want to curse less and relax.

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger yellowdoggranny

    i read the article about the hops, coffee and the ring tones...i cant belive how you pulled them altogether and made it better...u da man..
    sooner will be here tomorrow...batten the hatches...

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger Michele

    I could easily drink 17 beers
    a day the benefits are worth
    it.Besides it goes with everything
    well except ice cream.

     
  • At 10:34 PM, Blogger Cassandra

    Hmmm. I found some link that claimed to be the tone and I couldn't hear it. I don't have any teenagers around to test the theory on whether there was really a sound or not.

    That's mean of your step-dad! 20 seconds is not insomnia!

     
  • At 2:28 AM, Blogger Cassandra

    I just took a shower.
    Happy OTT!!!

     
  • At 1:04 AM, Blogger apositivepessimist

    was that 17 beers each day, week or hour?

    heyyy...yes an alarm clock...patent that now Nitty you'll make heaps.

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger Josh

    Oh man, I must find this sound and incorporate into a song or remix of some sort.