Random ramblings from my beer soaked melon about politics, religion, sex, stupidities, nature, and any other subject that penetrates the haze. Sometimes crude and not for the faint of heart or people with normal intelligence, or an abundance of common sense.
Saturday, April 23, 2011
AMERICAN MADE


I remember when I first came to Washington. For the first six months you wonder how the hell you ever got here. For the next six months you wonder how the hell the rest of them ever got here.
Harry S. Truman



Well, I wasn't going to say anything . I made up my mind that it was a stupid non-issue that could only be embraced by the fringe conspiracy loving paranoids. But some things just never seem to go away and in this case it has even grown beyond anyone's expectations.

I'm talking about the mystery of where President Obama was born. Was it Hawaii as he claims, or somewhere else where they, gasp, talk funny and eat weird food?

In the latest New York Times-CBS News poll, 45 percent of adult Republicans said they believe Obama was born in another country, and 22 percent said they don't know. One-third of Republicans said they believe the president is native born.
Ten percent of Democrats said Obama was born overseas, and 9 percent were unsure.

He produced the same birth certificate that everyone else has access to when they have to get a drivers license or any of a few other things. It says he was born in Hawaii oddly enough on his birthday. The Governor says he has seen the original that is on file and I don't know any state that will release that document. They are meant to be kept safe and secure. You know, in case you run for President or something.

People keep claiming that he was born somewhere else. Kenya or maybe even Mars for all I know. I think his birth in Hawaii is a proven fact but I also think, who cares. He's been faithfully carrying out the duties of the President for some time now. Not entirely, I will admit the way I had hoped in 2008, but he sure hasn't sold us out to the terrorists or whatever it is everyone is afraid of. The reason I don't care is pretty simple.

The Constitution says:
No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

People keep saying that he can't be President because he was born somewhere else and his father was a citizen of Kenya. This confuses me as a basis for their claims. For one thing, What
is a natural born Citizen? Is it a product of natural childbirth? They put that second part of the requirement in because Eight of the first dozen Presidents were born before the Constitution was adopted. Hell, they were British Citizens.

Nobody seems to bring up the thing that settles it for me. I have heard nobody claim that President Obama's mother was anything but a United States Citizen. Now correct me if I'm wrong but in my experience if one of your parents is a U.S. Citizen then you are also a U.S. Citizen. You may also have the right to Citizenship in your other parents native land. Now it may have been clearer if they had said that to be President you had to be born of a U.S. Citizen but, none of the drafters of the Constitution could meet that requirement. Unless he has lied about his age he has met the only requirements as far as I can tell.

In one of their more ridiculous statements The House's top Republicans Speaker John Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor say they are satisfied that Obama was born in Hawaii. But they have declined to criticize those who state otherwise, and Boehner has said it's not his job to tell Americans what to think.
I've never heard them open their mouths without telling Americans what to think.
Somebody is full of shit but I don't think it's me.

 
posted by Nit Wit at 2:25 AM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger billy pilgrim

    i think the depletion of the ozone is frying everyone's brains.

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger yellowdoggranny

    i miss Harry.

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Charlene

    What this proves is that these yahoo's couldn't pass a test to become an American citizen, so it's sure lucky they were born of American parents or in America.